Director, Product Development & Process Engineering
Summary of the Job:
As a Director of Process Engineering & Product Development, you will plan and direct the research and product development activities of interdisciplinary R&D Project Teams consisting
of engineers and biologists with Bachelor, Master, and Ph.D. levels of knowledge and experience. You will be responsible for product improvements that lower capital and operational cost, process development for new products, and engineering R&D work streams as the Company develops and commercializes products from algae.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Lead the technical planning of large and often complex research and product
development programs designed to meet company milestones and objectives.
- Develop and direct multiple research and product development steams from conception
through commercialization, including: idea generation, design, prototyping, cost-saving
measures, and technology scale-up to commercial operation.
- Collaborate with biological scientists to optimize engineering systems that are
compatible with our biology, at lab, pilot, and commercial scales.
- Apply fundamental understanding of engineering principles, particularly: strength of
materials, structural mechanics, bioreactor engineering, mass balance, and fluid
dynamics to review engineering designs for product development.
- Utilize risk analysis and problem solving tools such as FMEA, RCA and HAZOP to design
systems and solve process upsets.
- Review experimental proposals and technical reports generated by technical staff and
report research and product development progress to the Executive Management
- Help to identify, assess, and protect Intellectual Property needed to provide a
competitive advantage for the company.
- Supervise staff of multiple levels, including: hiring, resource allocation, performance
reviews, and mentoring/professional development.
The ideal candidate will have:
- 10+ year relevant experience with process design, product development, process modeling, and translation of lab results to commercial scale (or 5+ with Ph.D.);
- Excellent technical, leadership and management skills in field, including significant Project Management skills;
- Ability to be proactive, self-disciplined, and capable of working on multiple projects or tasks in an organized and efficient manner to meet ambitious corporate timelines.
- Experience with plastics and/or photobioreactor systems;
- Clear and concise scientific writing, presentation, and communication skills;
- Experience with 2D and 3D design documentation systems (e.g., AutoCAD and SolidWorks);
- Fluent written and spoken English skills;
- Competency with Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft SharePoint;
Algenol is an equal opportunity employer. E-mail PDFs of cover letter and CV to: email@example.com; reference “Director – Process Engineering & Product Development” in the subject line.