Engineering Associate (Process Engineering)
Summary of Your Job
As an Engineering Associate in the Process Engineering department, you will assist process engineers, pilot plant operations and biologists in the design, installation, start-up, and process characterization of various liquid and solid separation systems. You will also provide engineering input and prepare engineering documentation, including operating procedures and test reports.
Your Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Characterize process performance for bench scale and pilot scale unit operation equipment, primarily separation systems including crossflow microfiltration and ultrafiltration systems, centrifuges, and high-pressure homogenizers.
- Assist the senior engineering staff in development of experimental plans, gather pertinent data, and report the data to the project technical leadership.
- Perform various chemical analyses on samples generated from experimental trials and assist in computation and presentation workup of the data.
- Work with and instruct technical staff on proper functioning of unit operation equipment, and assist in troubleshooting operation equipment that has malfunctioned.
- Provide engineering input to multi-disciplinary Project Teams, including mass and energy balance and culture performance metric analyses.
- Assist in preparation of engineering documentation including Process Flow Diagrams (PFD), Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams (PID), mechanical part drawings and assembly drawings.
Qualifications for Your Job
- Bachelor’s degree in an Engineering discipline, including mechanical, chemical, environmental or related engineering field with two (2) plus years relevant experience or a Master’s degree in an Engineering discipline.
- Familiar with reading, interpreting, creating basic engineering documentation, including process flow diagrams and piping and instrumentation diagrams, equipment operation and maintenance manuals, among others.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required
- Proven ability to exercise judgment in importance and timeliness of projects.
- Must have the ability to adjust to multiple demands.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Word, and Microsoft Excel.
- Additional competencies preferred (not required):
- P.E. license or E.I./E.I.T. certification
- Experience with piping system design
- Experience with drafting software packages (AutoCAD, SolidWorks)
- Experience with control systems (PID loops, PLC operation)
- Commercial plant operations experience
Physical Demands of Your Job
- This position requires about 50% of the work time in an office environment, and 50% in a food production plant environment, including outdoors.
- Must be capable of walking, bending, stooping and/or crouching for long periods of time.
- Must be able to work the majority of the day standing, if needed.
- Must be able to occasionally work portions of the day in a greenhouse and outdoors in a hot, humid and sometimes stormy subtropical climate, usually one to four hours.
Algenol is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply: Please e-mail a PDF of your cover letter and curriculum vitae to: email@example.com reference “Engineering Associate Process Engineering” in the subject line.