Design Engineer (Engineering Assoc/Sr. Engineering Assoc)
Summary of Your Job
As a Design Engineer in the Process Engineering department, you will participate in project teams related to the technological development of our proprietary photobioreactor system and advancement of a commercial plant design package. You will work closely as part of a team of engineers and scientists to determine design requirements and develop engineering specifications to advance the commercialization of the technology. As a mechanical/structural engineer, you will help design and analyze components for construction.
Your Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Perform professional and technical engineering work relative to assigned area of responsibility.
- Design and document equipment for analysis and/or construction. Examples include, but are not limited to: photobioreactors, racks, footers, concrete pads, trailer-mounted skids, tensioned cable systems, hurricane panels, elevated operator platforms, and various manufacturing components.
- Ability to create professional manufacturing drawings in SolidWorks (or similar).
- Utilize finite element analysis (FEA) for modeling non-linear deformation and buckling of structures and mechanical assemblies.
- Perform simulations for outdoor installations incorporating wind, rain, sun exposure, high soil moisture, etc.
- For items requiring fabrication, select materials and sizes to optimize performance and cost. Create a bill of materials and place orders for necessary components.
- Provide engineering support to multidisciplinary teams to address a myriad of technical challenges.
- Prepare detailed engineering drawings, reports, and presentations to communicate the results of these analyses to team leaders and colleagues
Qualifications for Your Job
- Relevant work experience in mechanical, structural, civil or related engineering fields
- Strong understanding of structural mechanics, and FEA
- Knowledge of methods, materials, techniques, tools, and equipment used in construction and design
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to exercise judgment in importance and timeliness of projects; Must have the ability to adjust to multiple demands
- Eligible to work in the United States
- Experience with drafting and design software packages (AutoCAD, SolidWorks, etc)
- Knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Word, and Microsoft Excel
- Ability to respect the confidential nature the work and use discretion at all times
- Additional competencies preferred (not required):
- P.E. license or E.I./E.I.T. certification
- Apply computational fluid dynamics (CFD) to simulate wind stress or fluid flows internal to the photobioreactor
- Experience with piping system design, fluid flow in pipes, and product design
Physical Demands of Your Job
- May perform regular travel between corporate office and commercial site may be required.
- Must have close visual acuity to perform an activities such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures, viewing a computer terminal, reading, and using measurement devices.
- Must be able to lift and carry 20 pounds.
- Must be capable of bending, stooping and/or crouching for long periods of time.
- Work Conditions: primarily office environment. At times activities occur outdoors in hot, humid conditions for up to 4 hours per day.
Algenol is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply: Please e-mail a PDF of your cover letter and curriculum vitae to email@example.com reference “Design Engineer” in the subject line.