Downstream Process Development, Scientist or Engineer
Summary of Your Job
Algenol Biotech LLC is an innovative company and an industry leader in developing commercial products from algae. Algae produce a variety of proteins, oils, and polysaccharides with potential commercial application. A company goal is to develop new high-value products in the food, nutraceutical, cosmetic and personal care industries. Algenol is seeking a highly motivated Scientist or Engineer to be a technical leader in downstream product extraction and purification. The position functions as an area lead within several larger product development teams. The role includes process development, vendor identification, equipment acquisition and installation, and process/system start-up and validation.
Algenol has significant R&D, pilot and commercial capabilities at their Fort Myers, Florida facility. The incumbent will work specifically with laboratory bench and pilot scale systems and with the expectation that systems and processes designed are applicable to commercial GMP manufacturing. In working closely with commercial engineers, the incumbent will also be expected to identify opportunities for process improvements to increase product recovery yields and reduce operating costs. The position requires application of design and process control principles to ensure product quality for all production activities.
Your Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Serve as the technical lead in downstream product recovery research and development and interact with upstream algae cultivation teams to establish an integrated product develop approach.
- Serve as the technical lead for the design, acquisition, installation and operation of bench-scale and integrated pilot product extraction and purification unit operations.
- Provide company-wide expertise in separation and extraction techniques (for example, centrifugation, microfiltration, ultrafiltration, etc).
- Lead individuals of a multi-disciplinary project team/sub-project team.
- Provide expertise and training on the effective application of process controls to maintain product quality on downstream lines.
- Support commercialization efforts through identification of industrial scale equipment needs and potential suppliers/manufacturers and training operators.
- Develop standard work processes for all production areas to maximize safety, quality and efficiency.
- Establish and maintain best practices for documentation, project planning, and change management, including writing and reviewing test plans, standard operating procedures, and R&D reports.
- Conduct root cause analysis and troubleshoot issues at both pilot and commercial manufacturing scales.
- Evaluate new processes and manufacturing approaches to continuously reduce production costs and improve both pilot and commercial plant performance.
This ideal candidate will have:
- Relevant experience is the most important criteria. 10+ years of industrial experience in product and process development, including optimization from pilot to commercial scale.
- Design and operational experience with multiple dewatering, extraction, separation, filtration, purification and drying equipment and related systems.
- Significant experience in the food or personal care industry, preferably related to active ingredients, food protein, natural oils and fats and other valuable extracts, is a plus; GMP compliance experience is also a plus.
- Significant experience as a team and/or project leader.
- Knowledge of Quality System Requirements and associated application of design and process controls.
- Operating or process support experience with industrial scale product extraction and purification processes.
- Understanding of lean principles with respect to manufacturing line and plant design.
- The temperament and interpersonal skills necessary to lead within an innovative, fast-moving, start-up environment.
Algenol is an equal opportunity employer.
Application Procedure: Please e-mail a PDF version of your cover letter and curriculum vitae to: firstname.lastname@example.org; reference “Scientist/Engineer, Downstream Process Development” in the subject line.