Food Scientist / Sr. Scientist
Summary of Your Job
As a Scientist/Sr. Scientist, you will responsible for the development of food ingredients, nutraceuticals, colorants, and other natural products isolated from algae. This will include product feasibility, product functionalization, process development, and technology transfer to engineering and pilot scale groups.
Your Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Develop and determine feasibility of natural products isolated from algae including, but not limited to, proteins, lipids, colorants, carbohydrates, and antioxidants.
- Research product functionalization steps, isolation and processing workstreams, desirable product properties, and food safety precautions, with the goal of developing revenue generating products.
- Engage in discussions with business development and external customers to determine targeted product specifications to fulfill market needs.
- Manage outsourced relationships, contract research organizations (CRO’s), and fee-for-service laboratories in support of new product development.
- Produce high quality product samples for customer requests and industry trade shows.
- Write research plans, technical reports, and project summaries with a high degree of detail and scientific acumen.
Qualifications for Your Job
- Product development experience in the food ingredient or nutraceutical space is the most important factor. 7+ years of experience is preferred.
- Bachelor’s, Master’s, or Doctorate degree in food science, chemistry, biochemistry, or comparable discipline.
- Direct and demonstrable experience as a researcher within a product development group for food ingredients, colorants, nutraceuticals, proteins, and oils as marketable products.
- Expertise in process development with an emphasis on isolation, functionalization, purification, and production of food products.
- Demonstrated track record of taking product concepts to finished products ready for commercial manufacturing and marketing.
- Knowledge of FDA regulations as they pertain to the food and nutraceutical industries is highly desirable.
- Experience with solvent extractors, Soxhlet extraction, refluxing, powder drying and milling, and nutrition is a plus.
- Ability to work in an independent, organized, and efficient manner in a fast-paced and demanding work environment.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Word, and Microsoft Excel.
Algenol is an equal opportunity employer.
Application Procedure: Please e-mail a PDF Version of your cover letter and curriculum vitae to: email@example.com; reference “Food Scientist” in the subject line.