Research Assistant/Research Associate – Cultivation Engineering
Summary of Your Job
Algenol is seeking a full-time Research Assistant or Research Associate (depending on qualifications) in our Cultivation Engineering Department. Personnel in the department participate within project teams to develop algal cultivation techniques, conduct experiments that optimize photobioreactor operation, and operate large pilot-scale algal production systems. The position potentially works will all aspects of photobioreactor operation, including liquid and gas management, nutrient addition, algae harvesting, and cultivation systems cleaning. The candidate must enjoy outdoor work and have the ability to maintain a positive, can-do attitude under physically demanding conditions.
- Deploy and service photobioreactors and associated systems
- Prepare chemicals for critical processes
- Participation in outdoor experiment design and/or large system test plan execution
- Sampling and routine laboratory responsibilities
- Data entry and data analysis
- Follow and develop operational checklists and SOPs
- General facility and equipment maintenance
- Adhere to lab and outdoor safety policies
- A Research Assistant has a Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Botany, Marine Biology, Limnology, Microbiology, Engineering, Bioengineering, or comparable discipline.
- A Research Associate has in addition a Master’s degree in a comparable field or 3+ years work experience in industrial algal cultivation
- Experience in basic microbiology techniques, including media preparation and aseptic techniques
- Familiar with general lab practices, lab safety rules, and basic scientific equipment
- Familiar with general industrial hygiene practices and safety practices
- Ability to operate pumps and valves
- Ability to operate basic hand tools
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs of weight to waist height
- Must be able to walk in an environment with piping and other objects in walk paths and occasionally crawl or climb
- Must be able to work flexible hours, late nights and weekends, including Sundays as research demands require
- Ability to problem-solve and work independently but integrate well with small working groups and cope with a fast pace work environment
- Versed with personal computers and Microsoft Office applications
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Last, but certainly not least, be enthusiastic about your work and have a sense of fun with your colleagues!
Candidates should submit, in electronic form (PDF ONLY), their cover letter; a complete curriculum vitae to email@example.com and reference “Research Assistant/Associate” in the subject line. Applicants should indicate their availability in their cover letter. Only applications meeting the outlined qualifications and providing all requested information will be reviewed and answered.
Algenol offers a generous compensation package including competitive salary commensurate with experience; medical, dental, and life insurance; 401(k) plan; paid vacation time; and childcare benefits. Algenol is an equal opportunity employer.