Research Associate/Senior Research Associate, Culture Collection
Summary of Your Job
As a Research Associate in the Culture Collection group, you will perform applied microbiology methods and algal physiology techniques to maintain inoculum for both small and large-scale cultivations. This includes cryopreservation and revival of algae strains as well as performing maintenance and assisting with characterization of Algenol’s Algae Culture Collection. Experience in cryopreservation, microscopy, media preparation and excellent microbiological techniques are required.
Your Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. As with any job, other duties may be assigned to you as appropriate.
- Prepare algae cultures for cryopreservation and revive algae cultures from cryopreservation following strict standard operating procedures;
- Participate in development and validation of cryopreservation protocols;
- Production of algae inoculum for R&D cultivation purposes including routine transfers and culture maintenance;
- Prepare complex media following strict protocols;
- Prepare inoculum cultivation systems including dish washing, autoclaving, sterile filtration and bioreactor assembly;
- Perform quality control (QC) monitoring of cultures including culture plating, microscopy and growth rate calculations; maintain QC logs;
- Maintain organization and written records of strains contained in Algenol’s Algal Culture Collection; periodically revive strains and confirm stability; oversee strain transfers between internal and external sources;
- Consistently apply aseptic technique to all aspects of cultivation;
- Use and maintenance of basic scientific equipment including laminar flow hoods, pipettes, balances, autoclaves, pH meters, UV spectrophotometer and fluorescence microscopes;
- Experience with algal taxonomy is a plus;
- Record data in laboratory notebooks and integrated data systems in a timely manner;
- Perform tasks with precise attention to detail and organization;
- Ability to manage one’s time and prioritize tasks;
- Ability to work occasional weekends and holidays
Qualifications for Your Job
To perform this job successfully, you must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities you are required to possess.
- Minimum of a Bachelors Degree in Microbiology, Biology, or other related discipline;
- Experience in the biotechnology industry is highly desirable;
- Hands-on experience with microbiology techniques including aseptic technique, pipetting, microscopy, bacterial cultivation and isolation;
- Attention to detail and data-driven decision making;
- Ability to work both independently and on a team;
- Ability to maintain a high degree of productivity in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to interact professionally with all levels of staff;
- Ability to respect the confidential nature of the work and use discretion at all times;
- Knowledge and skills in using a variety of laboratory equipment and computer programs (including MS Office) to complete assigned research work.
Algenol is an equal opportunity employer.
Application Procedure: Please e-mail a PDF version of your cover letter and curriculum vitae to: firstname.lastname@example.org reference “RA/Sr. RA, Culture Collection” in the subject line.