Sr. Engineer (Chemical Engineer or Mechanical Engineer)
Summary of Your Job
Algenol Biotech LLC is an innovative company and industry leader in developing commercial products from algae. Algenol develops new high-value products in the food, nutraceutical, and personal care industries. As a Sr. Engineer in the Engineering and Operations department, you will work with biologists, process engineers, and pilot plant operations in the design, installation, optimization, and start-up of various commercial systems.
Your Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Design and optimize pilot scale unit operation equipment for commercial use. Systems included, but are not limited to: separation systems, crossflow microfiltration and ultrafiltration systems, centrifuges, and high-pressure homogenizers.
- Work with and instruct technical staff on proper functioning of unit operation equipment, and assist in troubleshooting operation equipment, when necessary.
- Provide engineering input to multi-disciplinary Project Teams, including mass and energy balance and culture performance metric analyses.
- Prepare engineering documentation including Process Flow Diagrams (PFD), Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams (PID), mechanical part drawings and assembly drawings.
- Install, design, and support startup of manufacturing plant.
Qualifications include the following:
- Experience as an Engineer, including mechanical, chemical, and/or process engineering, is the most important criteria. Ten+ years of experience preferred, with plant start-up experience required.
- Familiar with interpreting and creating engineering documentation, including process flow diagrams and piping and instrumentation diagrams, equipment operation and maintenance manuals, among others.
- Understanding of lean principles, quality systems, and GMP compliance with respect to plant design a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required with ability to work with multi-disciplinary teams.
- Temperament to work within an innovative, fast-moving, start-up environment and the ability to exercise good judgement regarding the importance of timelines and deliverables.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Word, and Microsoft Excel.
- Additional competencies preferred (not required):
- P.E. license or E.I./E.I.T. certification
- Experience with piping system design
- Experience with drafting software packages (AutoCAD, SolidWorks)
- Experience with control systems (PID loops, PLC operation)
Algenol is an equal opportunity employer.
Application Procedure: Please e-mail a PDF version of your cover letter and curriculum vitae to: email@example.com; reference “Sr. Engineer, Process and Product Development” in the subject line.